Neues Schloss - Two cannons guard the New Castle
In 1418, Ludwig the Bearded laid the foundation stone for the Neue Veste (New Citadel), in the centre of which rises the Neues Schloss. Today, 17 richly decorated cannons in the castle courtyard reflect the scale of the weapons arsenal at that time. Two of the oldest of these exhibits belonging to the Bavarian Army Museum comprise a set of double cannons from the years 1524/25 which go by the names of "Scherer" and "Schererin". The first weighs 9,690 pounds, the second 9,395 pounds. The Neues Schloss is now home to the Bavarian Army Museum â€“ an exhibition of historical weapons, armaments and pewter figures.