The Bavarian Parade March – made in Ingolstadt
It is part of the standard repertoire at folk festivals and celebrations throughout Bavaria, and many a political grandee enters the beer tent to its strains. What not many people know is that the Bavarian Parade March from 1850 hails from Ingolstadt. Composer Adolf Scherzer, one-time Bavarian Court Master of Music at the Seventh Infantry Regiment in Ingolstadt, composed this march as well as many other lively tunes.
None other than King Ludwig II declared that the march was to be used as the Bavarian Advancing and Parade March. Today, some even regard the Bavarian Parade March as the unofficial national anthem. And no wonder: the piece is easy to play, so it has become a standard piece for many wind ensembles. Yet its composer Adolf Scherzer, who was born in 1815 in Neustadt an der Aisch, and who died in 1864 in Ingolstadt and was buried in the city's Westfriedhof cemetery, has remained a largely unknown figure. Records show that the first major performance of the Bavarian Parade March was at the start of the 20th century in front of the Würzburg Residence, on the occasion of the "Grand Parade of the Royal Bavarian Second Army Corps".
It must have been truly rousing: 1,000 musicians and 500 drummers and buglers, accompanied by 300 torchbearers, took up position and the conductor gave the beat using an electrically illuminated baton.
(Süddeutsche Zeitung, quoted from Dr Wolfgang Mück, former Mayor of Neustadt an der Aisch.)